Pages Navigation Menu

Heartland Community College Student Magazine

Are Resolutions For You?

Are Resolutions For You?

Happy New Year Spectator readers! Hopefully, the first few days of 2019 have been good to you.

For many people, the new year is a sort of reset button; a fresh start. New Year’s resolutions are made because people recognize that they need to change something in their life and can use this fresh start to make that change happen.

According to statista.com, 53% of American’s New Year’s resolution was to save money and 45% said that they would like to lose weight or get into shape. So it’s no surprise that gym memberships skyrocket and finance apps experience increasing downloads. But how many of these resolutions are actually kept? According to Forbes, only 8%.

92% of the gym memberships and 92% of all financial app downloads will go to waste. Most people shoot for goals that are unattainable, and then jump crazily into these goals and get burnt out quickly. The only thing that inspired this change is the calendar changing. Which is why it is understandable that some people might be cynical about the whole “new beginnings” idea of New Years. But if someone needs a reason or inspiration to change something in their life that they want to change, then what’s the harm with New Year’s resolutions.

So readers, if you are thinking about making a resolution this year, maybe remember the statistics but also remember that if you want to make a change you can make it, someone needs to be in the 8%, right?

468 ad