Pages Navigation Menu

Heartland Community College Student Magazine

13 Reasons Why

13 Reasons Why

Most Netflix addicts by now know the hit series 13 Reasons Why, the story of Hannah Baker, a girl who killed herself and left behind tapes for her classmates explaining how they contributed to her fate. This author has yet to indulge in the series yet – saving it for a lazy weekend – however, the book that the series was based on, originally released in 2007 by Jay Asher, is a classic favorite of mine.

The story told from the perspective of Clay, who liked Hannah and was apparently her crush as well, as he listens to the tapes and follows her map of the landmarks in town that she indicates have also impacted her short life.

Clay stays up all night, listening in fear and desperation to see how he could have negatively affected Hannah’s life in such a way to help lead her to suicide. He also listens in horror to the building stories of her interactions with other classmates of theirs and the awful ways she was treated during her time at their school.

I don’t want to spoil the details for anyone who hasn’t read the book or watched the series, so I won’t go into the gory details. The stories vary from girls tormenting her or letting her down to guys demeaning her.

The book, or series, speaks volumes to today’s youth about the issues they must deal with from adolescence all the way through their college years. The torment of friendships and relationships today can sometimes be like navigating a minefield; and unfortunately for some, bullying is an all too real issue.

Selena Gomez, an executive producer of the series, and Netflix have both responded to backlash about the show. They have adapted the warnings before their episodes that have more explicit content that could be considered a trigger. But both Netflix and Gomez stand behind the work and the important message it provides.

Viewers will have to decide on their own. This writer suggests reading the book before diving into the series. Asher is an author with a unique style, and the book will grip you and won’t allow you to put it down until you’ve finished.

468 ad