Pages Navigation Menu

Heartland Community College Student Magazine

Goldfinch Review

Goldfinch Review

Need a new book to dive into?  As an active reader, I am always on the hunt for a good book. The last book that I just recently finished was The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I checked out my copy at the Bloomington Public Library. 

I originally discovered this fascinating story as I was skimming the stacks at the library. The Goldfinch is Tartt’s third novel and first book published in 11 years since her last book.  Published by Little, Brown and Company, this novel won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. At first its 784-page length intimidated me, but once I started to read the pages just kept flipping. If you are still thrown by the length, another way to read this book is by audio and it its also available in e-book form for your Kindle.

The novel covers life events of a thirteen-year-old boy into his mid-twenties.  Theodore Decker loses his mother at the young age of 13, which sets him on the path of a series of life challenges and reality checks.  Tartt, does a miraculous job of putting you in the perspective of Theodore Decker, and makes you experience many emotions while reading her novel.  The terminology used throughout the novel is captivating in itself.  The detailed descriptions and situations that the main character portrays sincerely put you in the book. Although this book is not about describing wizards and magic, it wraps you up in the reality of Theodore Decker.  For fictional readers that use the “reality” of characters from books to escape your own, this is a book you want to pick up.

I have read many good books and it has been awhile since I last picked up a novel that I did not abandon out of boredom.  The Goldfinch sincerely keeps you intrigued with its language use and makes you continually hold hope for Theodore Decker.  The length may seem overwhelming at first but the story hooks you in. I completed the novel in just three weeks in between class and work.  Overall I would give The Goldfinch an 8.5 out of 10.

468 ad